Thứ Tư, 7 tháng 9, 2011

Lark Rise to Candleford- My One Weakness!

Lark Rise to Candleford from the BBC starring Olivia Hallinan
For anyone who has seen even a few episodes of Lark Rise to Candleford, you will know what I mean when I say this show is my "One Weakness". Actually, you can read that a few different ways. It is an "in joke" of the production that one of the main characters, Postmistress Dorcas Lane played by Julia Sawalha is always claiming different things to be her one weakness. But on another level, although this is a luscious and darling production, it is not an adaptation of high literature. It's a sort of 19th century soap opera and I love it!

Laura Timmins, Gabriel Cochrane, Dorcas Lane and Minnie
This wonderful loose adaptation of Flora Thompson's autobiographical novel set in late 19th century rural Oxfordshire, travels beween the sleepy hamlet of Lark Rise to the wealthier market town of Candleford. If you want car chases and excitement, this is not for you. If you want to step back in time and be entertained by great stories, wonderful acting and some seriously gorgeous scenery and costumes this is your show.

Claudie Blakely and Brendan Coyle as Emma and Robert Timmins
If you are reading my blog you will likely love this series. They made 40 episodes over 4 years, ending in 2011 so the story spans a large time period and has many actors and characters. I have watched the first season in order and have caught occasional episodes from subsequent seasons on BBC Canada or from PBS. It is pretty easy to pick up an episode here and there without seeing the previous ones.

Dawn French as the ever entertaining Caroline Arless
There are an abundance of real characters in this show from the lusty Caroline Arless as played by Dawn French to the hilarious Pratt sisters (the dressmakers who dress alike). The story centres around the Timmins family comprised of stonemason Robert Timmins and his wife Emma and 5 children who live in Lark Rise and whose eldest daughter Laura goes to Larkrise to work in the post office with Emma's cousin Dorcas.

Matilda Zeigler and Victoria Hamilton as Pearl and Ruby Pratt
Having said how much I love this program let me add that my family does not share my affection for the show. My husband (The Squire) leaves the room rolling his eyes and saying "Oh no, not THAT show!" if I yield to temptation and pop it in the DVD player. So you may have to indulge your one weakness in private as I do if you succumb to the charms of this series. But I mean look at this view...

The gorgeous sleepy hamlet of Lark Rise
Even the laundry on the line looks appealing to me. Anyway, I'm off to work now but when I get home, I think I know what I'm putting on the telly (in another room from The Squire of course).

See you tonight Queenie and Twister!
P.S. Inspiration for this post came from Jane's recent post at her blog Reading, Writing, Working, Playing and from interest from one of my new readers Suzan.   Also the great buzz about the new season of Downton Abbey on Charleybrown's blog Enchanted Serenity of Period Films had me thinking about the wonderful talents of Brendan Coyle. If you want more info on Lark Rise, there is a great fan website called The Candleford Chronicle if you'd like to check it out.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét