Thứ Ba, 17 tháng 7, 2012

Kate and Leopold 2001

Kate and Leopold 2001 with Meg Ryan and Hugh Jackman

Kate and Leopold is a lovely light romantic comedy involving time travel. And the best thing about it is Hugh Jackman. If the look on his face in the photo above doesn't have you weak in the knees, well perhaps you need a few hours with this film.

"Fresh creamery butter. Is there anything more comforting? I say there is." And his name is Hugh. Hugh Jackman.

A duke on a white horse. Are we being manipulated here? I do not care.


Kate: I don't want it to be Sunday. I want more of this, more 1876.

Dinner on the roof? Prince Charming....

Leopold: Where I come from the meal is the result of reflection and study. Menus are prepared in advance, timed to perfection. It is said that without the culinary arts, the crudeness of reality would be unbearable. 

He refuses...respectfully.

Leopold: Are you suggesting madam that there exists a law compelling a gentleman to lay hold of canine bowel movements?
Police Officer: I'm suggesting that you pick the poop up.


Charlie and Stuart. You have to go now Kate!

Stuart: Theoretically, if you go to the past in the future, then your future lies in the past. This is a picture of you in the future - in the past. 

**********************************************************************************

Charlie: You want to vex my sister!

Miss Tree of the Trees of Schenectady
Miss Tree: I've never been to England but father's teeth were made there.
Leopold: He's quite rich, your father.
Miss Tree: Oh, yes.

Best apology note ever

Dearest Katherine,
    I behaved as an imbecile last night, animated in part by drink, in part by your beauty,and in part by my own foolish pride. And for that, I am profoundly sorry. Please accept, as a gesture of apology, a private dinner on the rooftop tonight at eight o'clock .
                                                                  Yours truly, Leopold 

A man in a cravat and knee high boots. Yum!

Kate:People might think I'm brave, but I'm not.
Leopold: [quoting Thucydides] "The brave are simply those with the clearest vision of what is before them - glory and danger alike - and, notwithstanding, go out to meet it."

Kate McKay of the McKays of Massapequa

Kate: She was a real romantic, my mom. When Prince Charles and Lady Di got married, she had a party, she made crumpets and jam. It was like a Super Bowl party, but for moms. She cried for a week.
Leopold: I don't know the story of Prince Charles and Lady Di.
Kate: Oh, you don't want to. It's a cautionary tale, further proof.
Leopold: Of what?
Kate: You can't live a fairy tale.

**********************************************************************************

So, on goes my phase of light romantic comedies. Don't overthink this film and for heaven's sake, don't go looking up Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany on Wikipedia. It's a big disappointment. Trust me, I just looked him up. NOT Hugh Jackman! Although the real Duke went to Cambridge. So perhaps he could quote Thucydides and sweep a girl off her feet after all. Who knows? But I doubt it.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét