Thứ Bảy, 4 tháng 2, 2012

Jonny Lee Miller- Actor of the Week

Jonny Lee Miller
Jonny Lee Miller has been in some pretty wonderful period dramas. His Mr. Knightley in the 2009 version of Jane Austen's Emma opposite Romola Garai was pretty unforgettable. I didn't think anyone could replace Jeremy Northam as my fave Knightley but I was oh so wrong!

Jonny Lee Miller as Mr. Knightley in Emma 2009. Nice cravat!
If there is anyone out there who hasn't seen the 2009 BBC version of Jane Austen's Emma with Romola Garai, you have a real treat in store. Although my sister prefers the 1996 cinematic version with Gwyneth Paltrow and Jeremy Northam (which I still absolutely enjoy), if I could only have one Emma it would be the 2009 version. Both Jonny Lee Miller and Romola Garai do an amazing job and have great chemistry together. The locations and cinematography are pretty awesome too.

Jonny Lee Miller as Lord Byron
If you like your JLM a bit wilder than Mr. Knightley, as Lord Byron (Byron 2003) he is definitely "mad, bad and dangerous to know". Not many people saw this one, but apparently he did a pretty good job. Any of my readers see it? Did you like it?

Jonny Lee Miller and Frances O'Connor in Mansfield Park 1999
I know that the Jane Austen purists in general do not like Mansfield Park 1999, but I actually kind of love it. It veers from the book in it's portrayal of Fanny, but I am not particularly a Fanny "fan" so to speak! The fact that the film makers injected Fanny with a large dose of Jane Austen herself actually improved the film in my opinion. And until we get a properly done Mansfield Park (I understand the BBC Mansfield Park from 1983-with Jonny Lee Miller as Charles Price!-is good but very dated looking now) this is the best one we have. Jonny Lee Miller's Edmund is kind of adorable, I think. No wonder Frances O'Connor is snogging him in the photo above!

Jonny Lee Miller and Robert Carlyle in Plunkett & Macleane 1999
In Plunkett & Macleane, a quirky film about a pair of 18th century thieves, Jonny teams up with the wonderful Robert Carlyle, his costar in Trainspotting. A little action, a little comedy, a little techno music and some anachronistic clothing, and you have a nice evening's rental.

Angelina Jolie and Jonny Lee Miller in Hackers 1995
And if you want to see him in his youth, Jonny Lee Miller met his first wife, Angelina Jolie on the set of their film Hackers 1995, about a pair of genius teen computer hackers. Quite a smoking hot couple, despite the awful hairdos!

So here's to a real cutie, Jonny Lee Miller. He has a few vampire films coming out soon (Dark Shadows and Byzantium) but I am hoping for more period drama.

P.S. His new TV series on CBS Elementary, starting September 27 is actually a modern day version of Sherlock Holmes set in NYC.  I can't wait for this even though it is too much to hope that it will be as good as Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch (basically the original British version of the same). Fingers crossed for Elementary, my dears.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét